Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Friday, August 27, 2010

Thunderstorms, lightning strikes, and fire




Don't worry...the horses are safe. They are on the other side of the valley, but there is a fire up in Joshua Tree National Park. Thunderheads started building up yesterday afternoon (it is monsoon season here in our desert) and the sky got dark in various places. I could see downpours around the valley. Apparently there was hail in Warner Springs! And, near Joshua Tree, there was a huge downpour (in Landers) and flooding! Unfortunately, there were some lightning strikes in Joshua Tree National Park and one started a fire. I saw the fire while driving home from school yesterday afternoon and by dusk, I could see the flames. More thunderstorms are forecast for today. Eight fires were started around the valley by lightning yesterday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's too much excitement! Glad the horses are OK.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I love summer monsoon storms because of the drama and beauty, but they can bring devastation, too.
Just part of nature and something that it needs, but still, fire can be scary.
Cool pics.

~Lisa

Mikey said...

Tell that weather to dump elsewhere! We got hit so hard here it scared me to pieces (not to mention the horses). I love the storms, but not right on top of me. Stay safe over there and stay inside when there's lightening!!!