Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Look, ma! A stranger~ Sunni and Molly share some time together~










































Both Cathy, the ranch owner, and I noticed that we are the only ones to really work with our horses and we both decided that it would be good for them to have other people just come up and mess with them, take them out, and even work with them. So, last week, when my good friend Molly came up with me, I asked her to work with Sunni in the arena. Now, Sunni is the most skittish of all our horses, but Molly has a very relaxed demeanor. She has a little filly that she has trained by herself and she's very horse-knowlegeable. Molly really hadn't interacted with Sunni much, except to stop by and give him scratches, and I was eager to see how he would react, especially since I'd spent a lot of time this summer desensitizing him. Remember, he stood still for the farrier, but didn't like the vet or getting his shots and he acted like...a real JERK for the vet!...sigh... So, here's the story of Sunni and Molly! THANK YOU so much, Molly, for doing this for me! It was a good lesson for Sunni and I feel like he made a lot of progress. Top photo: Look, Ma, a STRANGER! Next: Hmmm...she doesn't look so bad. Maybe I'll take a closer look! Hey, she's pretty nice! Look, ma! I survived! And finally, "Phew...now I can run and run and run!"

1 comment:

Kathie Brown said...

Sunni looks just gorgeous! If I lived near you I would come and "mess" with your horses any time you wanted me to! BTW, I love to groom horses!