Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Scout learns some manners!







I admit it. Scout is the horse that I haven't worked with. There. I said it. Yes, I worked her a bit in the big corral, but every time I took her out to the round pen, she would barge out of the gate and barge in front of me and I just didn't have the strength or energy to deal with her, so my solution was to let her sit and do nothing! I realize my mistake now that I am getting back to normal after my riding accident two years ago. She has horrible manners! She doesn't respect my space, she tries to lead me, she is very forceful. And STRONG! She's got powerful rear legs and is built like a tank. So, yesterday, Meia, a local trainer who comes to the ranch on Tuesdays, worked with Scout for a first lesson on manners. And, yes, she noticed immediately how awful Scout's manners were and in two seconds, she had her walking and leading nicely! Phew! She also opened up the corral gate and made Scout stay! My problem is...I'm just not quick enough in my old age to catch this misbehavior, but I'm going to work with Scout on Friday just in the corral and go in and out of the gate and ANTICIPATE that she will try to barge past me! Little steps...So, yesterday Scout learned how to lead properly, how to back up, and how to lunge. Now, I can work with the other horses, but Scout....oye vei! She is quite strong willed! And, I admit that working with her, I get nervous and she probably feeds off that. I don't want another accident that could further aggravate my back, so I think it is best that a trainer works with Scout on her manners. I did notice that Meia kept an eye on Scout and the very second that Scout even THOUGHT about barging ahead, she headed her off! I'm going to have to practice that! ...sigh...I have SO MUCH to learn!

7 comments:

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Charm school for horses is a good thing. Glad she is learning quickly, it will make things so much nicer for you.

Gail said...

Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Manners are so important - sometimes it's hard work at the beginning, but if you're able to be consistent, pretty soon it'll just be the way things ought to be. Smart to get someone to come work with her first.

Dan said...

Great to hear Scout is learning manners working with the trainer, I'd be worried if she was the same way with everyone. So looks like there will be a positive outcome!
Dan
-x-

lisa said...

After my fall two years ago it has been very hard to get out there and work with Sirocco. I make up all kinds of excuses. I have spent lots of money to get him from a 4 year old that hasn't ever been riddin to a 5 year old that is now broke but just green broke. I am afraid to get out there and work with him even from the ground. But I have finally gone and done it and it was hard making him listen to me but I learned to get firm but not angry. Not easy sometimes!

JennyB said...

Don't be too hard on yourself! About a year ago my husband was in a bad riding accident that he's only now really healed up from and I have to constantly tell him to be gentle with himself too. Take your time, learn to enjoy the journey and you'll reach your goal before you know it =)

Cheryl Ann said...

Thanks, Jenny! Yes, I HAVE to take it slowly! Fortunately, my other horses are all pretty easy, except Gigondas, who can be unpredictable at times, and SCOUT! Scout, for me, is almost too much to handle, especially with my back problems. I need to remember that! I appreciate your thoughts.