Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Getting ready for back to school


I'm one of the fortunate ones who doesn't need to adjust my biological clock to get ready for back to school, since I wake up every morning about 5 a.m. However, I will have to adjust my "horse time" starting tomorrow! I have a doctor's appt at 8:00 a.m. and then I need to go to school and finish prepping my room. And, the rest of the week, I have meetings at school. So, from now on, except for the weekends, I'll have to visit "the herd" after school...sigh...It's never easy to have to drive 35 miles up a winding mountain road after a day at school! But, I NEED my horse time and I need to work with Scout and the others, so off I'll go, at least until daylight savings time ends. I actually find it relaxing to drive up the mountain and it helps me clear my mind. It's just a "time adjustment" for me. It will be 114 degrees here in the desert for the next couple of days, then down to 111 and 110 and 108 by the end of the week. Phew! NOBODY enjoys these hot days of August! How about you? Do you have to adjust your schedule now that school is starting?

2 comments:

Dan said...

Wow, you just made me feel really rubbish abut complaining at a 20 mile drive to the cottage as and when I feel like it! I never thought about using driving as relaxing time. I should try that!
The Autumn always makes me think of new starts, and new pens, books and pencil cases even now - and I left school very many years ago.
Hope you have fun with the herd (and the class) in the fall, and looking forward to keeping up with you as the seasons change.
Dan
-x-

Vickie said...

Well not actually - having to adjust my schedule. I'm an early riser. My kids are all out of the house. My daughter will be leaving this weekend for her college, and I DO have alot of things "on hold" until she leaves. I'm trying to spend time with her while I have her.

We drive back and forth to our farm, too, but until I get moved out there permanently this fall (I hope) all the critters I have right now are cats. I am planning on some horses in the very near future! Can't wait! Hope you cool off very soon there!