Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Sunday, November 30, 2008

scary tarp!











Yesterday was a good day with the horses. It was clear and slightly warm. YEAH! It was Gigondas' turn to be brushed, as well as Cali and Scout. Hubby groomed Gigo and then took her down to the arena for her turnout. Yup. She rolled in the manure three times. HA! I groomed Cali (tried to...Scout kept getting in the way!). She has dapples! I also put a halter on her and got her to move and change directions. I also had the energy (FINALLY!) to start her on "stay" and "come". She did very well for her first lesson! She wants to please. Since Scout was being such a PEST, I took her down to the arena. BUT...OHMYGOSH! Cali had to walk by a scary blue tarp that had blown off the recently-delivered hay! Snort, snort! She was finally okay with it after we stopped and she sniffed it and discovered it wasn't going to eat her! Hubby watched her down in the arena while I went back up to brush Scout. Scout has VERY tightly knit fur, which is still dark (she turns almost white in winter) and I was able to brush her all over. She even lifted a foot for me! YEAH! It wasn't too long ago that I still wasn't able to brush her BUTT, but now she's relaxed enough to "allow" me to do so! It was a good day, especially since I wasn't in any pain and I could move around and walk around! Now if my three doctors could just figure out why my feet are still numb!

2 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Progress is a good thing when it comes to horses. I've been waiting to see my neurologist to see if he agrees, but I have a theory about my own foot and arm numbness/pain/weakness. It's my sleeping position. When I am in a deep sleep, I lie on my side with my arm under my pillow and head, one foot set into the arch of the other foot. I think the weight of body parts on body parts causes nerve damage. If I wake up during the night and adjust myself so that I am sleeping on my back or stomach, I have no foot and no arm pain during the day.

Cactus Jack Splash said...

I hope the DOR doesn't read this, if she does Cali has just sunk my trap avoiding days.
Nice job going near the tarp...