Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Gigondas and HER man!




My husband has another female in his love life! She's a thoroughbred named Gigondas! The minute she stepped off the trailer 2 years ago, Gigo was smitten by my husband! They've been "best buds" ever since! She just naturally bonded with him. I'm the one who works with her on her training (as best I can), along with my cousin, but my hubby is the one she truly LOVES! Scout busted out of the corral one time when I was taking Cali out, got loose, and RAN by Gigondas when hubby was walking her up to her pen from the arena. She went down and thrashed and kicked him in the knee. Fortunately for him, she didn't connect with his knee that much (just a corner of it) and he wasn't injured! (Scout CAN be a handful!)....I got an earful from hubby about taking another horse out when HE still had Gigo, so we are more careful now (especially with THE DIVA Scout!) He never blamed Gigondas...that's just part of horse ownership, but he's lucky she didn't really hurt his knee, especially since he does have sore knees from his basketball days! He is eventually going to ride her. The plan right now is for my cousin to take Gigo to her ranch next summer and finish up her saddle training. I'm SLOWLY working on her commands and getting her used to the saddle (as best I can)...but Valerie will get her in shape in no time! Then, I'll have Beauty to ride and hubby will have Gigondas. Methinks he needs some riding lessons, too, with Cousin Valerie, before he handles Gigondas. Anyway, that's THE PLAN~

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that you have what it takes to be a Pony Cousin!

Join the fun and find out if you would "fit in" by checking out this page: Highlight the address; copy it; paste onto your browser.

http://kjmiddleoftheroad.blogspot.com/2008/10/so-you-think-you-want-to-be-pony-cousin.html

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Awww! That's so sweet. My husband has a special bond with my horse, Baby Doll, too. I'm glad, but sometimes, a little envious, too. lol!

~Lisa