Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Pony Cousin


Yeah! I'm a Pony Cousin! I'm so proud of this! This really means a lot to me, especially since I wait all week to go see "the herd" on weekends. Now that it is getting dark EARLY, it is especially difficult to get up there during the week! But...they are in good hands! I never worry about them. I always share their adventures with the kids at school and yesterday, at our "fall festival" (can't call it Halloween any more)...a lot of my former students came by and asked how the horses were doing. "Does Cali still eat Scout's tail?" "Is Sunni the dark one?" I had some folders from WALMART that were horse-themed and believe me, they went quickly! "Ohhhhh...this one looks like Sunni, I want this one!" or "This horse looks like Beauty!"...these kids! They crack me up! I ran around and dove into trash cans to retrieve bottles and cans for Joe at TBFriends! I filled up one HUGE black trash can full of cans just from yesterday after school! YEAH! I'll recycle them and send Joe the money for his hay bill, which is over $10,000 A MONTH! YES! Can you believe it? This class is finally catching "recycle fever" and bringing in bottles and cans from home, too! I also have 2 or 3 teachers donating. I keep a big, blue plastic bin outside my classroom and sometimes they just stop by (without interrupting me during class) to drop stuff off. My class saw a first grade teacher yesterday and I was in the middle of a lesson, but I'll be sure and thank her next week. So far, they have raised $43.00 for Joe, and that's from kids in a very low SES area...one of the lowest in California! I'm proud of them!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. You have the heart of the Pony Cousin, for sure! This recycling project is great on so many levels... i just cant even say ...wow.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Congrats and well done!!

~Lisa