Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Gordo






















On one of our several stops at the Ridgecrest BLM corrals, we fell in love with a mustang. Not just any mustang. "Gordo" was part draft. He was HUGE! And, he was friendly. We even went back to the office and asked about him. He was an 8 year old gelding who had been adopted out, but the BLM went and picked him up from his home because he wasn't being properly fed and cared for. He LOVED people! He was one of the "3 strikes" horses now...we inquired about his future. The BLM staff told us he would be sent to one of their pastures somewhere for the rest of his life. This was an incredibly friendly mustang, one who trusted people and had been tamed. We don't know what happened to "Gordo", but I hope he is one of the 30,000+ mustangs that will soon run free again on land to be bought by Mrs. Pickens. One can only hope that his future will be filled with rolling hills and lots of grass. I included some other photos of our trip to the BLM pens. We always take huge bags of carrots and feed the mustangs who are willing to come up to the fence.

3 comments:

Shelly said...

Thanks for stopping by yesterday! I don't know how you found me but I'm loving all of your horse pictures! I scrolled down a bit and read your story, I was a horse crazy kid living in town too. My little sister was the same way and now she lives on acreage and trains horses (and people) for folks who are having trouble with their horses, she takes me trail riding once in a while and I absolutely love it.
I have lots (and lots) of tips for back problems if you would like me to e-mail them to you ;)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Aww. He's such a cutie. I hope his future is bright and he is well taken care of. :)

~Lisa
New Mexico

arlene said...

These horses look so tame. At the Odessa adoption, where I got my colt Wildairo, the horses where pretty scared of people. I was thinking about the horses that were captured the same day as Echo and Wildairo and I'm so happy they are going to be safe now.