Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Pushawalla Canyon, Part 2

















So, 45 minutes later, my cousin Valerie finally came down the trail and we continued up the canyon. Now, remember, she is on horseback and I am walking. Hmmm....something amiss here! She kept telling me to go just a little farther because she wanted to show me something. But, when we got to a water logged trail through the palms, I decided THAT was enough and refused to go through the water. YUCK! And, besides, I had ALL that way to hike back out of the canyon!!! BY MYSELF!!! So, we bid our goodbyes and I turned around to walk out of the canyon, past the palms, through the soft sand, alone all the time. If I had twisted a foot or sprained my ankle, nobody would have known. Cell phones don't work in the canyon. Only Valerie knew where my car was parked, but she wouldn't see it because she had moved her truck and trailer to another location. LESSON LEARNED: Always tell somebody WHERE you are going hiking and what time you should be back. Of course, my husband knew I was going hiking, but he had NO IDEA where I was or where my car was parked. Like I said, lesson learned and I'm fortunate that nothing happened that day. I would love to return to the canyon, but with my husband!




2 comments:

Terri said...

I have never been to the desert and have never had any desire to do so. I was raised on the Atlantic seaboard with the great Smokies only hours away. I used to feel sorry for those that had to live in such a barren place, but no longer. How lucky you are to be surrounded by such beauty! Me and Maggie may show up on your doorstep someday.
You were wise to turn back. I have a dear friend who fell on her own property (about 400 a ) broke pelvis and 1 leg and did something to a nerve in her face.
Had her cell in saddle bag but horse never called for help. After 5 hours husband missed her and went looking(only after her horse showed up to eat, still toting cell) She had along recovery but is fine now.
I cannot stress to those of us who ride alone the importance of keeping a cell on your body, not attached to saddle.There is a wonderful velcro phone holder which can be worn just below the knee. Or if any one out there has seen a better product let me know. If you are in a place w no reception don't go alone. Ok my Sunday sermon is concluded. :-)

Linda said...

That's a good idea about the cell phone. Mine is usually in my saddle bag.

I agree--I have a whole different opinion about desert riding now. I'd be riding every day in that beauty!!