Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Friday = FIRST day of vacation!!!





































Yesterday was my first day of spring break (YEAH!!!) and I spent the entire morning out and about with my camera. First, I took some pics of the beautiful red and orange and pink sunrise. Then I went up to the visitor center and walked and saw some quail and a little black bird with white under its wings. Then I went to the trailhead entrance and took some pics of wildflowers growing OUT of the canyon wall! NEAT! Then, I drove out to Thousand Palms Trail, where my cousin Valerie works at clearing off the trails. She wasn't there, but a friend of hers was slowly going up the path on her horse. I called out to her, but she was so far away she didn't hear me! So, I drove around to the other side of the canyon and took some photos. Finally, I decided to park and go into the Coachella Valley Preserve. The preserve is several thousand acres and lies just on the San Andreas Fault. That's why there are palm trees and oases there! The water literally flows up from the ground. We won't have time today, as I want to get up and visit the horses, but maybe tomorrow morning I'll take hubby there and we can walk around together. He's never been there! Can you believe it? And, he grew up down here! Then, for lunch, I met my cousin Valerie, my good friend and fellow blogger, Molly (Hola Mole) and her daughter for lunch at our favorite vegan restaurant, Native Foods. Here are some pics from yesterday. Have a good day and please give your horses a hug!

3 comments:

Cactus Jack Splash said...

My spring break is just ending...I want another week. Have fun, maybe you can sneak in a ride.

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Happy Appy Easter

Rising Rainbow said...

Looks like a beautiful place. Probably too hot for me but I still love to visit in pics. Hope you, Valerie and Molly had a great visit. One of these days, I'm going to get to me Molly, I hope since I already feel like she's a great friend.