Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Saturday, April 10, 2010

My boys, whiskers, mice, and I learned something yesterday!!!











I drove up the hill to the horses yesterday and learned something. YES! Can you believe it? I left my home about 9:15 and got to the ranch about 10:00, dropped some items off at the thrift store, went to the feed store to buy beet pulp ($14.50 a bag now!!!) and went out to see the horses. Mustangs were good and I need to work with Scout today. I let Gigondas out into the arena as she was standing at her gate banging her foot against it..."MOM, LET ME OUT!!!!" I went up to see my boys, Quad and Sunni. Quad REALLY needed a good brushing. Sunni REALLY needs a trim! So, while Gigondas was down in the arena, I brushed Sunni. He LOVES to be brushed and doesn't move off. Next, Quad. Now, on another blog, I read that thoroughbreds don't like stuff brushes, so I got out the softest brush I have (my pink one!) and started in on Quad. At first, he moved off, but after a while, with lots of talking and careful brushing, he stood still. I mean, he didn't move at all! Lots of yawning and sighing. I guess it felt good! And, he had a LOT of hair that needed to be removed! Great big clumps and lots of fine hair, too! He still doesn't like his face brushed, and that's okay, but he and I spent some quality time together while I brushed him and that was a real step foward. I hope the birds come and find all his hair!!! I'm sure they could use it for their nests. Oh, and speaking of nests...when I opened up my tack room door, I looked down at the floor...WHAT IN TARNATION? The mice got hold of a rope and made a NEST out of the end of it! Look at this!!! Little varmits! I didn't see mom or any babies, so I don't know where they are...

4 comments:

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Darn mice. Sounds like you had a good day

Anonymous said...

to take hair from clothing put them in the dryer with a yard of nylon net and the hair will cling to to holes in the net.tablytin

Gail said...

Sounds like the perfect day to me.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Such a great way to spend the day. Darn mice, though. Good thing it was just a rope they destroyed, though.

I wonder if Apache is also sensitive to being brushed. She doesn't seem to really enjoy it as much as Baby Doll did. I think I'll start using a softer brush and see how she does....


~Lisa