Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Saturday, June 29, 2013

10 questions to answer for the Liebster award

Here are the questions from Nuzzling Muzzles:

1.  Guinea pigs or rabbits?
Either.  My mother was a second grade teacher and every summer she brought home either guinea pigs or rabbits.  As a child, I cared for both of them.  
2.  Now that the important question is out of the way, who is your hero and why?
My hero?  I'd have to say my grandmother.  She taught me so many things:  how to cook, how to sew, how to be a respectable and responsible person...She lived to be 100 years old.  I miss her every day.  I used to go to my grandparents' house each afternoon after school.  They kept me grounded in reality and made sure I finished my homework BEFORE I went out to play!  Isn't that a great idea?  
3.  What problem do you have that keeps coming back to haunt you?
My problem is my back now.  I've fallen off horses 3x, but this last one pretty much did my back in and now I have permanent leg muscle damage.  I notice that I stumble around and lose my balance a lot.  It took me 3 years to get back on a horse after my fall, but I rode a lesson horse last summer.
4.  What is the best thing that ever happened to you?
The best thing that ever happened to me was having my children and watching them grow up into nice, young, responsible citizens.
5.  What do you do to relax?
Relax?  Well, one thing I do is go up and visit my horses.  I also go out and water my garden or take photographs.  All those things help me to relax.
6.  Favorite space?
My favorite space is out in nature, whether it is in our local mountains, the eastern Sierra Nevada, or out in the desert.  JUST GET OUT into nature, watch, listen, and observe!
7.  How do you deal with annoying people?
I used to confront them...now I just ignore them.
8.  What task have you been meaning to do for a long time, but just keep putting off?
I REALLY need to clean off my desk, but I also need to clean out my work room.
9.  Go without your mobile phone for a week or go without television for a week?
HA!  I just went without television for a whole week while we were up in the Sierra Nevada.  It was just so beautiful up there...we'd go out in the afternoons and return to the cabin for a late dinner.  Frankly, we were too worn out to watch TV!
10.  Why do you blog?  
I blog because I take a lot of photos and I love to write!  This is also my relaxation!
~~Cheryl Ann~~

1 comment:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Wow! You got to this fast. I blog to relax also. I'm sure there are people who read my complaints about not having time for this or that and they probably think, "Then stop blogging so much and you will have more time."

But in the desert heat you have to set aside time to sit still and cool down, and that's when I blog. Have you read Naked Liberty by Carolyn Resnick? If not, I think you'd enjoy it. It details her experiences growing up around horses, and much of that time was spent in Indio. She'd ride her horses out in the desert all day and come across all kinds of interesting animals. She also talks about the history of the area. She'd just ride into people's fruit groves and play hide and seek in the trees with her horses. I think she even mentions the Garner Valley.