Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Cattle egret at Salton Sea


Even though the Salton Sea is the largest inland body of water in California, I don't get down there very often. It's another 22 miles south from my school and honestly, there isn't a whole lot there. But yesterday afternoon I was in Thermal for an appointment and I decided to head over to the Salton Sea. The day was cloudy and there was a cool breeze, which was welcomed because the sea can really stink! There are dead fish all over the place from the algae in the water. I stopped at the state park, where there were a few RV's camping overnight. I did spy this cattle egret and some others in an inlet. The sea is about an hour from our home and I often see it off in the distance when I drive up the mountain, so I'm glad I had an opportunity to visit it.

1 comment:

lisa said...

That is very nice, don't they have to keep the water clean, or is it pretty big for that kind of thing to be done?