Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Sweet Peas







I took yesterday off of school to help our daughter get ready for her wedding this afternoon. I drove down there about 8:30 to deliver the champagne (actually, sparkling wine)...Champagne ONLY comes from the champagne region of France...and she put me to work cleaning her bathrooms and vacuuming her entire house's tile floor! Phew! Then, we ran errands for an hour. By the time I got home at 12:30, I was hungry and tired! I didn't get up to see the horses as hubby got home early and we went to the AT&T store and I picked out a new cell phone, a Nokia. Nothing fancy. It's a flip phone with BIG numbers. And, we saved $50 off our monthly cell phone bill because he traded in his Iphone for a Nokia like mine. Actually, he just discontinued its service and he is giving it to our daughter's fiance. So, all is well now with the cell phone. I glanced out back yesterday and noticed that I had quite a few sweet peas growing up along the fence, so I went out back with my scissors and cut a nice bouquet of them. We are having "light" winds today and I put them in my kitchen window so that their aroma can circulate around the house. Aren't they pretty? I dumped some horse manure on them last weekend and they sprouted up to over 7 feet tall! Some are now up and over the 6' chain link fence! So, I'll know now for next year where to plant them! I can prepare the soil in August and add lots of manure. It sure is nice to see them growing along the fence. I'll have to think of something to plant there for the summer months. Any ideas? It's a long stretch of 6' chain link fence...more sunflowers? My first crop out front has come and gone and I need to pull out their stalks. Desert gardening is indeed a challenge!

2 comments:

Kym said...

I can almost imagine the smell here in our region of the country....wishing for the beautiful spring smells to start here...but they are being interrupted by the rains...congrats to your daughter's wedding and hope all is well!

Cheers!
Kym

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Lovely flowers.
Here is to a wonderful wedding and a bright future for you daughter