Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Not a good day Saturday


Saturday morning here in the desert was GORGEOUS! While the sky had some high clouds, it wasn't very cold and I went for my walk wearing only a denim shirt over my t-shirt. It was too warm for my heavy jacket. I found some new trails, thanks to a fellow early-morning walker, who pointed them out to me. While I won't be able to do them during the week, before school, I now have some new places to explore on weekends. Unfortunately, as I drove further and further up the mountain, I noticed the wind blowing. And, I mean BLOWING! I got out at one point to take a photo and was nearly pushed over by the wind. Hmmm....not a good day to take horses out, maybe? Yup. That was confirmed when I arrived at the ranch. Winds of 60 mph were forecast. ALL the horses were edgy. I did manage to brush Scout and Cali and halter them both and work each of them in their corral. Scout was most UNcooperative. Even Cali, who normally is the easiest to halter, ran the other way. I finally got her haltered and worked with her and lifted all her feet. I finally decided to walk her down to the arena and give her some time away from Scout. She did okay walking there and I left her there for about 20 minutes. Of course, she got ALL the other horses riled up! When I was walking her back, she spooked three times and one time I fell onto my car! It was a good thing she decided to stop and investigate the car as I was getting my balance. She spoooked at the corral posts, which were in a pile, and a big gust of wind came up and we headed back to her corral. I decided not to even mess with Sunni, since he is the most spookable and by that time, weeds and dust were swirling all around. So, the best laid plans...The mountains are forecast to be in the 70's this coming week, and, with the time change, maybe I'll have an afternoon to go work the horses. Jennifer's bridal shower is today and I'm not sure how much time I'll actually have to work horses after I take my morning walk. And...sigh...today doesn't look any better. It's already windy down here in the desert. I'm just doing my walk, coming home, showering, and then going to Jennifer's bridal shower.

6 comments:

Gail said...

Oh, I was so looking forward to your riding, but better safe than sorry.

There will be many days that are perfect.

Cheryl Ann said...

And, today doesn't look any better, Gail. I'm not even driving up there. If it is windy down here, and it is...then I can only IMAGINE what it is like up there! Maybe mid-week or next weekend...sigh...ALL the horses need a good bath! They are FILTHY!

Cactus Jack Splash said...

I am glad you didn't get hurt. A windy day is probably not the best day to head back to the saddle, although I have a suspicion that nothing will bother Quad.

Linda said...

The wind really gets them worked up--it's a good thing you put it off--there'll be plenty of calm days in the future.

Katharine Swan said...

I agree with Linda. Plenty of calm days ahead! No need to rush things and risk a bad experience! Wind always gets my horse worked up too -- I joke that our animals are like natural barometers. They anticipate the weather better than the weathermen do. ;o)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I despise wind. bleh!

I wouldn't have even tried to work with the horses in that much wind either.

Save the riding for a windless sunny warm day. There will be plenty of them not too far away.

~Lisa