Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Scout and Cali on a warm winter day







After the excitement of the birth of my first grandchild on Thursday, I drove up to see the herd on Saturday morning. It was a WARM, sunny day! I proceeded over to the corral where Scout and Cali are, armed with brushes! My goodness! Phew! What a LOT of hair! Scout was shedding, shedding, and shedding! I had to clean her brush with every stroke! And, of course, Cali had to stick her nose into the excitement and beg to be brushed, too! It looks like there will be a LOT of hair for the birds! They should be able to make nice, warm nests, thanks to the mustangs!!! There is another storm front coming through this weekend, with rain forecast, so our spring-like weather will cool down. It will be 80 degrees here in the desert today! Nice, huh?



3 comments:

Cactus Jack Splash said...

The horses look good. The birds should enjoy the hair.
I think it is turning into "wooly yak" shedding season. Mine all look patchy

DesertHen said...

80 degrees!! I'm jealous! I would settle for 65 degrees at this point!

We had a terrible wind/dust storm yesterday and more wind forecast for today. Still need rain, but it just keeps missing us.

The horses look happy....=)

Katharine Swan said...

Panama is starting to shed out like crazy, too. It's actually early for that kind of thing in Denver, but it's been unseasonably warm for the last several weeks. Every time I groom him I get hair in my mouth. It never fails.