Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Peek-a-boo! Monday morning drive






















Hubby and Iboth had the day off yesterday, so we went driving out a road yesterday and guess what we saw? I heard there was a herd of them up in the mountains. They were eating hay in an area near the road. I cautiously got out of the car to go take some photos and left the car door opening, telling hubby, "Leave it open in case I come flying back!", but they were friendly! One even wanted to go home with us! Several had ear tags. I've never seen them up there before and we've been down that road a couple of times, so maybe they came in to eat their afternoon snack? Aren't these longhorns? Can anybody tell me whether or not they are?

3 comments:

Carla said...

Hi, thanks for visiting my site.

The cattle appear to be Longhorns mixed in with another breed. Depending on where you are in the desert, they could be considered a wild herd, despite the ear tags. I know in Texas, in certain state parks, the herds are gathered, given vet checks, and then set free again. They do have ear tags as well.
A little more light reading on your delightful find--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_longhorn_(cattle)

Mikey said...

Well I'm no expert, lol. We need The Wife from Gizzards & Calf Fries over here.
I think they're longhorn crosses. Not big enough for the traditional longhorn, but they've got some horn on em that looks a lot like longhorns.
That makes total sense right? lol
They're cute though!!

Ed said...

I'm with CeeCee they look like a mix breed, true Texas Longhorns have a wider spread on the rack. Nice pics..