Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

I nearly came home with a chicken!


Isn't she adorable?  This is one of my friend Barb's chickens.  She followed me around her ranch the day I stopped there a couple of weeks ago.  Actually, all of her animals are friendly.  She has four dogs and they are all rescues from the streets.  Years ago, when our kids were just toddlers, I actually had 3 hens.  I got them from my cousin's wife's parents' (got all that?) ranch down in Thermal, CA.  They had 40 acres and raised alfalfa.  Unfortunately, our collies pulled out their feathers and I returned them to the ranch to live in peace and quiet.. (I should have known Carson then and had her make one of her chicken lofts!)  I got 3 geese instead.  HA!  They chased me around the yard and made a horrible racket.  Back they went...sigh...I also had some ducks and I even built them a duck pond.  They flew off.  Such was the end of my adventures with farm animals while living in the city!  Now, I just go up and visit Barb's ranch and her animals!

3 comments:

Jennifer MacNeill said...

I want chickens! Great pictures!

Katharine Swan said...

I love chickens too, but like you, I try to get my "chicken fix" (and other animals fix) from visiting others who have them. :o) Chickens are fun though -- they have a lot more personality than you would think!

Sage said...

I keep thinking of getting some chickens. But I'm afraid my dogs and cats won't like them, or will like them to well. Plus we have coyotes here. Neighbor just lost about 10 chickens to them. I wouldn't want that either