Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Monday, October 24, 2011

Horse time finally!



I finally got some decent horse time this weekend. FINALLY!!! I did chores on Saturday, including dumping and scrubbing the mustangs' water trough.  I bought salt bricks for all of them and a big block for the mustangs, since they are in a large corral.  I checked Cali's eyes and the flies aren't bothering her any more.  Her eyes are clear.  Yesterday I took Sunni out for some grooming and then some work in the arena, then I let him run.  He now picks up all 4 feet easily.  He spooked when I threw he lead rope over his back, but didn't run off, like he used to do, so I am thankful for all the desensitizing that he gets with my trainer.  I didn't realize the ranch owners were gone, so I only took him out.  By then, it was nearly 1:00 p.m. and I was getting hungry!  Sunni behaved very well with lots of praise and hugs.  He has come a long way in the last 6 months, but I also think he has matured a lot.  He now THINKS before he reacts.  He used to REACT and not think.  That's a big step.  The trainer has also been working Gigondas a lot and I could tell she really wanted out yesterday, but, with the owners gone and the wind blowing, I just didn't want to chance it.  I'm going to TRY to get up there one afternoon this week after school as it is so pretty in the late afternoons now.  BUT, after fighting these kids all day in class, I'm exhausted. It was a beautiful weekend and temps should drop another 5 to 8 degrees this week.  It will be in the 80's here in the desert and there may be thunderstorms up in the mountains.  See what good helpers the girls are?  And, Cali LOVES water and mud!  She'll make an awesome trail horse!

2 comments:

Daisy said...

Such beautiful horses! And they're all rescues? Wow! I applaud you my fellow horse lover!!
(I bet I know the feedlot you mention, that's in Washington. Bless you for getting involved and saving a couple of horses!!!)

lisa said...

I have had a hard time getting some horse time in and winter is almost upon us! Glad you were able too!