Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Saturday, July 25, 2009

There's nothing like a good rub! (Cali) Camera Critters for July 25, 2009












Cali is the goofiest and happiest horse we have! If I don't scratch her butt when she wants, she just finds the nearest spot on the corral fence and does it herself! That's Sunni next to her thinking, "What in tarnation is SHE doing?" See for yourself! Camera Critters for Saturday, July 25, 2009.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good thing you've got a sturdy corral! My mare Lily would demand butt scratches - she would swing her butt towards you and back up to you - a little bit intimidating until you figured out what she wanted!

i beati said...

I can feel how good that feels ah

Cactus Jack Splash said...

That is funny. Salty does that so much he rubs his tail thinner and thinner

said...

I was on a horse at Mackinac Island this summer who went off the trail and backed himself up into the trees nearby for a scratch! Took me a few moments to get him back on track...

These photos are so funny!

Tulip said...

such a big butt horse, love her golden color.

Anonymous said...

I get an itch just like that. A little higher up, over, just a bit lower...
Pick a Peck of Pixels

Regina said...

:) beautiful captured!

Dianne said...

very resourceful horse! ;)
I love her color too

Katharine Swan said...

Kate, I remember talking to someone whose mare did the same thing. Her mare liked her butt scratched when she got nervous at shows. The owner said it was kind of embarrassing to have this huge, expensive show horse practically knocking her down with her butt while asking for scritches. :o)

Panama gets itchy butt in the summer too. I've been putting a 50/50 mixture of baby oil and Listerine (suggested in the book Stable Smarts) to get rid of it, and it seems to be working -- the top part of his tail has lasted longer than usual this summer!