Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Monday, January 21, 2008

Snow day Martin Luther King day!






What a cold and snowy day! The perfect day for a drive up the hill, right? Yeah, right. The mountain is MAGICAL. I could see and feel the change as I drove up it. From bright, desert sunshine to cool, then cold. Clouds swiftly moving in. Snow on the high peaks. Absolutely wonderful! I stopped and took some photos. The mountains seem to be ALIVE, changing quickly with the clouds.


The horses were wet from the rain just a few minutes before I arrived. I quickly put some shredded beet pulp (2 scoops) in the pail, so allow it to expand. HOWEVER, the wind was blowing, the rain was freezing. I need to learn that mountain weather can change VERY QUICKLY! After only about 15 minutes, I looked up and realized the clouds/fog had moved in and it was snowing again and I HAD to get OFF the mountain. YIKES! So, I mixed in their rice bran, sweet feed, and vitamins with the beet shreds and quickly (in the freezing cold) gave it to them to help keep them warm tonight! Poor babies! At least they are all nice and wooly. I would have liked to have stayed and spent TIME with them, but I realized that the CHP does CLOSE that road and I needed to get off the mountain! DARN! So, off I went! Snow flurries ALL the way down the mountain, then rain. I did see another pretty rainbow on the way down.

No comments: