Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Sunday, January 6, 2008

Cali



Cali in the round pen, 010208. Cali has finally MENTALLY matured! She used to balk, pull back, wrap herself around trees, and basically act like a young mustang! Now that she is 2 (yes, she's 2!!!), she has matured and will now calmly lead. She will even follow my directions and PAY ATTENTION! I was working with her in the round pen, moving her forward, and changing directions. She did very well! I am so happy. She really is a nice horse. She is actually taller than Scout. Scout seems to be more stocky than Cali, even though they were from the same place in Wyoming (same herd?) They may or may not even be related. They have VERY different personalities! Cali was always more "people friendly", even when they came down from Wyoming. She immediately went right up to people. She followed me around and even nibbled on my hair! Scout, on the other hand, was very wary of people. It even took Angi, our trainer, 30 minutes to get a halter on her at times! I've always been able to just walk up to Cali and put a halter on her. Maybe because she is "low man" in the herd? I don't know. I know that someday she'll be a GREAT horse for the grandkids to ride on and enjoy! She's my little "pocket pony" right now. I enjoy working with her. She's SMART, too! She now comes when I call her and she's figured out that if she goes to the far feeder, the other horses won't bother her and she can eat ALL her food in peace and quiet! Look how she's filled out nicely! THANK YOU, CATHY!

No comments: