Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Sunday, March 4, 2012

mustangs framed~Sunday Stills Challenge~030412

Yesterday was an absolutely incredible spring day down here in the desert, but when I started up the mountain highway to drive to the horse ranch, I saw and felt wind.  And cold.  Brrrrrr!!!!  By the time I arrived at the horse ranch, I stopped to put on my denim coat which is fleece lined.  And, I turned up the collar.  We had Santa Ana winds, which means they come swooping down from Utah and Nevada and boy, those winds were COLD!  I basically said hello to everybody and gave them an extra feeding and jumped back in my car.  I stayed long enough to run into the open room where I store all their feed in aluminum cans (there are rabbits, mice, rats, and ground squirrels at the ranch, remember) ... and NO CATS, so the critters run all over the place...oh, and snakes, too! I stood in the feed room and tried to frame this as best I could...oh, well...Sunday Stills Challenge for March 4, 2012.  On the way up and down the mountain, I only spotted 4 desert lupines blooming.  We just didn't have enough rain this winter for a good wildflower season. I also noticed that out of the wildflower mix which I scattered in my garden, only 1 desert lupine actually made it to bloom...sigh...definitely NOT a good wildflower year!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a neat picture! I like it!

Anonymous said...

cool shot, keep it up.