Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

My scrub jay




We have a scrub jay who lives in our neighborhood.  He's been here now for over two years.  He SHOULD be up in the pinyon forest above the desert.  I see many, many, many of his relatives up there whenever I drive up to visit the horse ranch.  He's a noisy bugger and I hear him screeching around the neighborhood.  He visits our front yard because I put seed out for the finches.  I've discovered that he LOVES acorns, so I now stop and pick some up in the oak forest along the road up in the mountains.  He also love peanuts.  I caught some photos of him this past weekend.  He's quite tame now and while I can't walk up to the fence when he's there, he sits on the fence, tilts his head, and eyes me!  He is quite a character.  He disappeared for a few weeks last Spring and we thought he flew off to find a mate, but he returned alone...I actually look for him now every morning.

No comments: