Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Friday, November 4, 2011

I went KERSPLAT this morning!

Yes, I did.  I went KERSPLAT, face first, right onto the vinyl kitchen floor after my first outing of the day.  I had to go down to the stupid car to find our coffee as the 8 cup Mr. Coffee just wouldn't do it for us.  I was fine outside.  I never slipped.  But, once back in the cabin, in my eagerness to come in from the freezing cold (it snowed here all night last night)...whirling and swirling snow...I slipped on the vinyl kitchen floor and went face first down.  Hubby, of course,  in his wisdom said, "WHY in the WORLD are you still wearing those boots?" (Or something to that effect...I've had to edit what he REALLY said...) To which I replied, "Don't TOUCH me!" as I lay on the kitchen floor trying to figure out if I'd broken my back (no, I just landed on both kneees and my right one is now painfully swollen)...BUT, my beloved Nikon camera went flying across the room and now the viewfinder is broken and I can't move any of the settings.  He finally did take pity on me (as I was in tears...) and called around and found a place that MAY be able to fix it for $150.00.  I LOVE that camera and I take her everywhere with me.  She still takes photos, but I can't adjust any of the manual settings, so I'm stuck on "speed" mode and 1/60th of a second.  It snowed all night and the roads are icy and it is starting to snow here again.  Frankly, I'm looking forward to returning to home and getting some rest.  There's nothing to do here and hubby is refusing to take the car anywhere today, even though other folks are driving up and down the road to Mammoth...

7 comments:

Daisy said...

My goodness! That does look COLD!! I'm so sorry about your camera and I hope your knee's okay!!

RoeH said...

What is it with men. I had a friend who was up at the family cabin one summer. She started getting sweaty and told her husband she thought she was having a heart attack. His comment was....."Well get a damp washcloth on your forehead and go lay down for a while." She eventually had to be airlifted to a Phoenix hospital because ... yes. She'd had a heart attack. I laughed at the time when she told me about his comment. Hope you didn't get hurt and that the camera will be fixable. That hurts worse than bones to me.

lisa said...

Oh my, what a start to a day! That would set me to going home! Hope the camera can be fixed. I would not be a happy camper if my camera was broken either! Hope the knee is ok.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Bummer. That must have put a big damper on your trip.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Ouch! I figured you had finally got back up on a horse and fallen off.
A fall on a hard floor isn't much better, though. But I bet seeing your camera broken hurts the worst!

A cabin in the woods surrounded by deep snow sounds sublime, as long as there is plenty of hot beverages, some hot toddys, a warm fire with plenty of firewood, lots of reading material, and a stack of great movies to watch...and chocolate...lots of chocolate. And soup...gotta have soup. :)

~Lisa

Cheryl Ann said...

Yes, I had soup and LOTS of hot tea! I miss the cabin already, but not trudging through the snow down to the car!!! We had a friendly blue jay who demanded to be fed, so I gave him some nuts. He arrived promptly at 7:00 a.m. today, demanding food again! I miss the Sierras, but not the icy roads!!!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I bet feeding the blue jay was very entertaining. I love to feed the birds in the winter and watch them vie for the food. It's better than watching TV.

~Lisa