Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Horse time today


So, my friend Susan and I went up to the ranch today to brush the horses.  Susan REALLY needed some "horse time" and I always enjoy her coming with me.  She's an experienced horse woman herself, but doesn't have any horses of her own right now, so she enjoys coming up with me and helping. We started with Scout and Cali, the two mustangs.  They both got brushed and got lots of lovin'!  I decided to take Scout up to the round pen, giving Cali some time in the corral by herself.  Scout walked next to me nicely and I rewarded her by letting her eat some of the grass by the round pen.  She had quite a long time in the round pen.  Next, we did Quad.  He kept moving off his mounting side, so Susan just kept on grooming him on that side and talking to him.  He finally stood still and I took him down to the arena for some R&R.  He enjoyed his time there.  Unfortunately,when I went to bring Scout back down to the corral, she decided I was walking too slowly for her taste and ran by me, knocking me on my sore shoulder (from my fall up at Mammoth)...I dropped the lead rope and off she went!   She only went next door, to the two mares, and stopped.  Fortunately, Susan was able to go get her and she made her do circles around her.  She went peacefully back into the corral (THANK GOODNESS!).  I had to stop and buy some rice bran for the herd, and some salt bricks, so we passed out the salt bricks and some pellets and all were happy and content.  It was quite breezy up in the mountains, so I didn't take Sunni or Gigondas out.  Here are some pics from today.

1 comment:

Barb said...

Ouch. I hope Scout didn't hurt you too much.