Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Sweat, sunscreen, dirt, and horse hair!



I spent six hours with the herd today. It was a halfway decent day up there...a few high clouds and a pleasant breeze. First, I went to the feed store and bought everyone a salt block and a mineral block. Cali immediately went to work on the salt block. Next, I took Gigondas up to the round pen. She walked very nicely and nibbled on some of the sweet grass along the way. I let her loose and she ran and rolled and ate weeds for about 2 hours. While she was up there, I brushed Cali and Scout. You should have seen all the hair that came off them! Amazing! I also dumped out their water trough and thoroughly cleaned it and refilled it. I also wanted to worm them, so I brought Gigondas back to her pen, and put Cali up in the round pen, otherwise Scout would have chased her off her feed (where I hid the wormer). Finally, I drove BACK to the feed store because I was out of feed for the mustangs. Went to Dairy Queen, bought 3 cheeseburgers and fries and Cathy and Bill and I all sat outside and watched the hummingbirds at their feeders. Finally, I took Cali back to the corral with Scout and since Gigondas was dried out, I groomed her from head to tail. (See the "before" and "after" photos). This time, she stood still (I loosely tied her to the fence.) YEAH! She got a little nervous with me at her rear, but for the most part, stood quietly. Then, I went down and gave Quad and Sunni their wormers, but ran out of energy to groom them, so I'll do them tomorrow. Phew! I'm a sweaty, stinky mess and my hair is full of sweat, but it was a good day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does sound like fun, although tiring - I had a multi-horse day too and I'm tired this evening.

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Sounds like a good day