Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Bishop area Indian rock art




Well, I was bound and determined to find the locations of the Native American rock carvings near Bishop, CA. I'd read about them online and it was just a matter of finding the right dirt road down to the Red Canyon petroglyphs. Unfortunately, hubby and I headed out right about 5:00 p.m., as the sunlight was quickly disappearing. We did manage to find them and hike back into the cliff canyon. I must say, they are amazing! To think that people carved these into the rocks! Wow! We may drive back out there in the morning to take more photos of them in the daylight (what a concept!)...I must warn you, do NOT attempt to drive that road unless you have a high clearance vehicle or a 4 wheel drive! The XTerra took it without any problems, but I had shifted down into 2nd gear and didn't stop. I'm going to read up on them again tonight, so tomorrow I'll know what I'm looking at! I used my telephoto lens on some of these because there is a fence to keep people away from them and we did respect that fence.

1 comment:

Flier389 said...

Just found your blog. Love the picture of Scout at the trough.