Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

horses today~






It's been HOT here in the desert the last two days and I mean ~HOT~!!! It was 102 degrees on our front porch on Thursday and 104 degrees yesterday! You know how you all have snow days? Well, here in the desert, we have "heat days" and when it's over 100 degrees, the kids are supposed to stay in for recess. I had yard duty yesterday, but Thursday, most of my class was too hot to go outside for recess (their recess is in the afternoon). It's only supposed to be in the 90's today, and I'll be able to go up and spend some horse time with the herd! I need to brush, brush, brush them! I patted Quad a couple of weeks ago and gobs of hair came out in my hand! It isn't that hot up in the mountains, however, as down on the desert floor. Even us "desert dwellers" need some time for our bodies to adjust to the heat, so when it went from 75 degrees to 85 to 102, we weren't prepared! Hubby and I walked up at the Living Desert Reserve yesterday in the 104 degree temps and nearly passed out! I drank a whole liter of water and had a denim shirt on (for a sunscreen), my hat, and shorts and still, the heat was so bad I nearly passed out! Fortunately, today it will NOT be triple digits and I have a LOT to do up at the horse ranch, so out I go! Here are some pics from our visit to the Living Desert yesterday.

1 comment:

Jennifer MacNeill said...

You can send a little of that heat to my house:) Gorgeous photos!