Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Ridgecrest BLM corrals








Yesterday, on our way home from the Sierras, we stopped at the BLM Ridgecrest corrals. We always try to stop by them on our way either to or from the Sierras, since Ridgecrest is right off of Highway 395. There's a Stater Bros. along the way, so we bought 3 huge bags of carrots for the mustangs. We've found, over the years, that some mustangs know what carrots are and will come right up to the fence, while others ignore us. That's okay...I was actually able to touch a few of them this trip. There were a LOT of burros there this trip and only a few babies with their mothers. But, there was a whole, big corral full of youngsters and another one full of yearlings and these were the most interesting this trip! It's always interesting to see which mustang will dominate the others. With the young ones, it was a little gray roan. with the yearlings, it was a beautiful bay with a white nose. Man, she didn't take anything off anybody, so sir! Her little ears went back and the teeth came out and she meant business! I was so busy feeding them that I didn't take that many photos! There were a LOT of beautiful, colorful mustangs there this time, especially the grays. There were also some good looking buckskins. A mother and her son showed up without carrots, so we gave them what was left in our last bag and headed for home. I always wonder what happens to these horses...there were some beautiful ones there yesterday...

2 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Ooooh! Horse love! It's nice that the BLM don't mind folks coming over to feed them treats. I bet you were tempted to take a couple of them home with you.

~Lisa

Sage said...

My mostly mustang mare didn't know what anything was except hay and grass when I got her as a yearling. I remember when she finally got to where I could handle her I opened her mouth and stuffed a piece of carrot in. She spit it out but then tried a taste and loved them. She did the same thing with horse cookies and even grain. My Quarter Horse mare, 5 when I got her, had never had carrots either, I guess but quickly learned to eat them. Sometimes you have to wonder about previous owners.