Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Monday, April 18, 2011

Eerie rocks and strange noises!


Hubby and I are up in the eastern Sierras for a few days. He got some time off work and I'm off for Spring break. So, of course...(DUH!)...we headed up to the Sierras. Today, we stopped at the road which was the temple for the movie Gunga Din, in the Alabama Hills. We were the only people there and usually there is at least one other car in the area. We got out and I started walking down the road. Suddenly, I heard this howling off in the distance. It gave me the chills. I told myself, "It's just the wind, it's just the wind!" HA~when we got back to the hotel this afternoon, hubby said, "Did you hear that howling this morning?" Oh, the howling? Uh, YEAH! He said, "My Irish grandmother would have said it was a banshee, so I looked around to make sure you were still alive.!" Uh...no...I wasn't playing with rattlesnakes, dear! But, yes, I heard it too and it was howling....Maybe the rocks know what it was?

3 comments:

Sage said...

Could it have been coyotes? or a dog? of course I have heard some strange things while out in the desert or mountains. Cool rocks. You do know that young ratlers have more poison than older ones because they haven't used as much catching prey. And even dead snakes can bite. So please be careful. One of these days those that run over snakes will find that snake wrapped up in a tire or undercarrage of their car. We need snakes to catch the rats.

Next to Heaven Ranch said...

I really love your blog! I am following your from my personal blog and from my business blog @ Next to Heaven Ranch! Looking forward to reading your posts!

http://nexttoheavenranch.blogspot.com/
Anna Sams :)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Those rock formations remind me of those we see when we hike the Sandias.
Sometimes the wind blows between narrow sections and makes a howling sound. We also get some crazy howling along the wire fences at the horse rescue.

But maybe it really was a banshee you heard....*shiver*

~Lisa