Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Creepy guy...

So, I drove up to the horse ranch this morning. THAT is a whole 'nother story!!! Anyway, on my way back down the mountain, I decided to stop at the visitor center which is at the bottom of the hill. It's one of the places I do my morning walks. So, I walk in, and the two ladies who work there looked really upset/distraught/concerned. Hmmm.....not good. I bought a T-shirt since I'm tired of the short Old Navy ones and paid cash. This young man walked in the back door, mumbling to himself. He looked disheveled and my alarms immediately went off...something wasn't "right" about him. Do you ever get those feelings about people? I get them all the time. Apparently it was the second time he had wandered into the center that morning, mumbling. Anyway, he was fidgeting and mumbling and I looked into the face of one of the women and she mumbled, "I hope he doesn't strangle us all." Oh, joy! Hmmm... Apparently he had been at a church service and was mumbling something about his wife and kid...I had my camera around my neck and I believe that it would have been a good weapon had I needed one. He wandered back outside and they called the sheriff for the SECOND TIME!!!! It's pretty isolated up there, but people do come in and out all the time. In fact, there was a gentleman sitting in one of the chairs outside. This was the first time I'd ever been there and was uneasy. My car was at the furthest parking spot outdoors (under a big shade tree, of course!), and I had a LONG way to walk with him on the loose somewhere outside. None of us knew where he was. I made it to my car and locked the doors and headed for home, spotting him walking down the highway. To my relief, a sheriff's car was heading UP the road. I called the visitor's center back and informed them that the young man had indeed left their property, was walking down the road, and a sheriff's car was heading up their way. PHEW!

2 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I've been known to wander around mumbling to myself...sometimes looking pretty ragged and disheveled especially if I've been gardening or working up at the barn. And John does it all the time. I wonder what people say about us. lol!

~Lisa

Barb said...

Somehow the full moon accents the mental disturbances in some people. Nice to know everything turned out ok.