Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Friday, April 24, 2009

Horses as therapy











She came to me in tears yesterday afternoon. She is a fellow teacher at my school. She begged me, "I'm going through horse withdrawal. May I come see your horses this weekend? I'll brush them, I'll lunge them, I'll ride them, but I NEED to see horses." She was desperate and shaking as she asked me. I understood completely. She was going through "horse withdrawal". She's also on the list of teachers who are facing the prospect of losing their jobs through job reductions in my school district. (last hired=first fired)...So, I calmly told her, "I understand. Yes, of course you can come see my horses!" So, Saturday morning, we're meeting at the local Starbucks and I'll drive her up to the herd for some theraputic brushing, walking, and lungeing. Horses as therapy. Horses helping people. Horses saving a desperate woman's sanity. Something to think about. I'm not sure which horse she will connect with the most. Will it be Sunni, my "nervous Nellie"? Or Beauty, my diamond in the rough, my calm feedlot mare? Or Gigondas, who HATED humans when we first got her, but now seeks out human companionship? Or Scout, the aloof mustang who now also loves people and attention? Or Cali, who LOVED us from the moment she arrived? What do you think?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing Gigondas. Isn't it wonderful how horses help us in our other lives?

Linda said...

That's neat that she knew she could ask that favor of you. It's hard for me to imagine a life without horses.

Budget cuts--ick. That's a depressing state of affairs, isn't it?

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Awwww, poor lady. At least she recognizes that a visit with horses might do the trick. When I'm stressed, I like to just set up a chair outside and sit with the horses while they graze.

Jenn said...

Horses are such great therapy in so many ways. I know mine are the best psychologists I could ever have around! Just being around them is calming and relaxing.

You are doing a good thing...I hope your friend gets all the equine therapy she seems to desperately need!

Caprice- said...

My horses are definately therepy for me! I don't know what I would do if I couldn't go hug them when I am down or had a bad day? They make everything better and put life back into perspective! You are so sweet to let your friend get her horse fix with your horses! I too have a good friend who is a teacher (a rally GREAT teacher) and she just got "pink slipped." She is very worried she won't have a job next year.
As for your question, I think she's gonna love them all!
Caprice

Cactus Jack Splash said...

I have a feeling that the budget issues with most schools are going to call for a lot of horse therapy