Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Horse Happiness!











Therapy accomplished. My friend actually cried when she got to the ranch! So many horses! Which ones were mine? We immediately went to Beauty and Sunni with the carrots because they always nicker when they see my car! Lots of lovin' there! Even Sunni! Then, we visited Gigondas, who was a little more standoffish, but was still better than she has been! Then, the mustangs. We decided to start grooming them first, since they are right next to the tack room. That was it! I did Cali and my friend did Scout. Scout didn't even move. She let my friend brush her ALL OVER! Her eyelids got sleepy! She nearly fell asleep! Scout must have sensed that this gal really needed to be with her because she had her best manners on yesterday. She didn't lunge for Cali or put her ears back once! Brush, brush, brush...brush, brush, brush...pretty soon there was a whole lotta hugging going on! I was able to lift up Cali's front feet and give her some Thrush buster! YEAH! It was too cold and windy for a bath for Cali, so I just brushed her and worked on her verbal commands. When the mustangs were done with their brushing, we led them down to the arena for a romp. And, for the first time EVER, Scout didn't take off running. She calmly stayed with my friend! Scout kept coming back to her, checking in with her! It was amazing. Here was this formerly wild mustang sensing that this woman really loved horses and needed their companionship, so she obliged! Incredible! She even walked up to my friend when we were ready to take them back to the arena. I had to walk over the get Cali out of the arena, but Scout was right at the gate! So, next we took Sunni and Beauty to the arena and let them run and boy, did the two of them run! So, we took a walk around to see the other horses at the ranch and at the end of the afternoon, took Sunni and Beauty back to their corrals. Phew! What a day! By 2:30, we were both exhausted, so we finally stopped at a little cafe for lunch. It was an amazing day! My friend commented on how friendly and relaxed and "people oriented" my horses were. Considering where they came from, and their diverse backgrounds, I considered that a real compliment! My friend had a good day, she left in good spirits, ready to face the unknown future. But, she knows now that she can come visit the horses for "horse therapy" any weekend now. And, with summer coming, I'm sure she'll make many visits to them! And, I appreciated all her help with them! We got more done in 1 day than I usually get done in 1 weekend! Look how attentive Scout is to her in the photos! Incredible! And, look at my Sunni! Even he wanted was curious and he's usually very standoffish with strangers!

8 comments:

Kym said...

Awwwhhhh.....I love horse therapy...there was this place that used to be about 2 miles from my house that I went to every Saturday morning to groom, saddle and take riding lessons (I really did not need them, but it was part of the package) for an hour. My divorce had just been finalized a few months before and I was still struggling with it, so I went into therapy working with rescued horses, and how that did help me! I quit going after two months because it gave me the courage to try other things, such as college. I hope your friend is still riding high on that therapy!

Cheryl Ann said...

She is! We were both completely exhausted by late afternoon, but it was a "good tired"! I think this day really meant a lot for her. As she got around the horses, and especially with Scout, I saw her body relax. The stress and worry were gone. I'm so glad she was able to spend time with the horses. It really made a difference in her life, a good difference! I know she will be back up there next month and over the summer.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful and inspiring story! When you're really "with" the horses, you can't think about anything else - the ultimate stress relief.

Katharine Swan said...

Horses really are the perfect therapy. So glad your friend enjoyed herself and got her "fix." People always comment on how people-oriented Panama is, too -- and although he wasn't wild, he is a rescue, so that's pretty amazing for him too. I think it all has to do with time spent with them. So many horses are ignored except to be ridden, so they have no reason to seek out interaction with humans.

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Isn't it amazing how well horses read humans? What a wonderful story

Allison said...

Cheryl Ann, What a heartwarming story, and so well written. You really know how to put the whole package together. This "Horse Therapy" really sounds like a neat deal. I would like to learn more about it. Sounds very interesting. I was down in Norco last week and saw quite a few horses. The town is a trip with the horses having the right of way, hitching posts in front of al the stores etc. Are you anywhere near Norco?
Again wonderful pics and wonderful story. I am just today starting to catch up on my blog reading. LOL!!!

arlene said...

That's so lovely. Your horses can read hearts and minds.

Five O'Clock Somewhere said...

I love the connection and quiet communication we have with horses. It is my sanity.

"All I pay my psychiatrist is cost of feed and hay, and he'll listen to me any day!"