Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Finally! Warm weather! Dogs, horses, and good food!



































































Like most of the nation, we've been at below-normal temps this last week. Idyllwild had snow last weekend and half of my spring break was very cold for Southern California natives like myself! Wednesday it was so cold that even the locals were complaining! Thursday, however, was bright and sunny and now our forecast for the desert next week is temps in the low 100's! Oh, how we DREAD turning on the air conditioner! (I usually TRY to wait until we get our summer rates to do that, but I heard the neighbors' a/c running yesterday)...Anyway, it was a beautiful day up in the mountains yesterday. I met my aunt and uncle for breakfast and low and behold...in walked my friend Barb and her new bf! So, we all ate a hearty breakfast and my uncle swapped airplane stories with V, whose dad was a pilot for American Airlines! My aunt and Barb struck up a conversation about 6th graders, since that what they both teach (or taught!) I had already eaten a nice, warm, sticky cinnamon roll from the Ramona Cafe that morning and I was STUFFED, to I ordered cottage cheese and fresh fruit. I'd stopped at the little swap meet in town already that morning (see the local produce!) and I bought some hair scruncies (handmade, for a horse rescue), and I got some mineral blocks for "the gang", so my aunt and uncle followed me out to the ranch. Beauty, of course, alerted everybody to our arrival. She's apparently got a new job: Official Ranch Announcer! And, she goes it with glee! Anyway and anyhow, here are some pics from yesterday and also a couple from the Ramona Cafe. If you are ever in Ramona, STOP THERE! It's on Main Street, on the east end of town. ALL their food is homemade and delicious! Have a great Sunday! Boo hoo...it's my LAST day of spring break...back to school tomorrow and testing begins on Tuesday! Oh, and that's Sarah...my aunt and uncle's Rottie! She should be called, "Sarah Slobber"...oh, my! That tongue just goes "lick, lick, lick". She got my face, my glasses, my hands...what a slobberer! She's only two years old and has already had a hip replacement, so no more herding for her! They are thinking about sending her out for tracker training! Gotta keep 'em busy! Enjoy your Sunday.

3 comments:

Kym said...

Sounds like a wonderful day....our nice warm weather here in MO was on Friday....so the studio had a day trip to the Zoo for the artists and we spent a wonderful hour walking around with the crowds of school children and the likes, enjoyed a brief snack and wished we had more days like that weather wise! Yesterday and today are cloudy with light rain and no sun! Send the warm weather my way!

DesertHen said...

We had snow here on Tuesday and Wednesday. A town to the north of us received almost two feet of the white stuff in a little over 3 hours! We had 8 inches at the farm!! Yesterday and today, it was in the 70's and so, so, so nice!

What a sweet rottie! We have a Doberman who likes to lick and lay on everyone.

That produce looks Wonderful! We still can't plant here and will not have any local produce until August.

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Looks like it was a really nice day. I can't wait for the farmer's markets to open here.