Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Monday, October 27, 2008

Monday morning memories





































I grew up in Arcadia, CA, about a mile away from the Santa Anita racetrack. We could hear the race calls from my house! My great-uncle was a small trainer who stabled his barn there and at Hollywood Park and Del Mar, as well as Bay Meadows. He used to get us into the track into the owners & trainers section to watch his horses run. I would also get to go out back to his barn at Santa Anita (yes....he was on the LAST row....) and see his beautiful horses. I was IN LOVE! They were majestic. They were big! I vowed that SOMEDAY I would rescue as many of them as I could! (still my dream....) I remember Hollywood Park before the encroachment of urban living. I remember it being wide, open space around the track. And Del Mar? He used to walk his horses down to the beach and let them play in the surf (alas...no more!) Anyway, since I have no new pics of our herd, I thought that this week I would post some photos I've taken of the racetracks a few years ago. Especially since this weekend was the Breeder's Cup at Santa Anita. So, enjoy the pics! I started going back to the races a few years ago...about 2005. I don't have time to go anymore, with 5 horses, but for a couple of years I went to SA, HP, and DM and took photos and won a little money!!! These pics were taken in December, 2005. I've never been a big fan of gray horses, but look at these! Hubba, hubba! Now I LOVE greys! I believe that's Tyler Baze on the bay, #5. We used to always get his pic at Hollywood Park. I'll post some later this week of HP.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Wow. What a great childhood, growing up next to a race track. A lot of my friends around here grew up in the horse racing business, too. There used to be a racetrack in Spokane. My trainer, Billy, trains here in the summer, then heads to the coast for winter track training.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

My father and grandfather were totally into the horse races. My father took me to Santa Anita or Hollywood Park on the weekends. He loaned me $2 to bet each race. I went to the circle and always chose the horse with the best legs that looked like it was ready to win. My father was amazed by my accuracy. I was using my horse sense while he was betting the odds.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Wow! And I thought growing up in Hemet, CA, a block away from Disneyland was exciting! lol :)

Can you tell me why all those horses have chains running through their mouth, though. I don't understand that. Is it really necessary?

Also what kinds of bits are typically used during racing?

Interesting stuff...and yes gorgeous horses. My favorite is #5, that black horse. Wow!

~Lisa