Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Rommel





























Our German Shepherd is Rommel. He's the third German Shepherd we've had during our married life and he is the most mellow. Our first was "Metternich", a 130 pound mass of muscle and attitude! NOBODY came near me when Metternich was around. NOBODY! Our second shepherd was Maverick. Maverick was MY DOG! Period. He followed me around the house, even into the bathroom! (Shepherds are real characters!) We had to put him to sleep several years ago as he had hip dysplasia and was dragging his rear legs around. It was VERY PAINFUL for the entire family! I still miss him and I swear that sometimes I see him in our house to this day! We have his ashes in a special box in our bedroom. He was my buddy.

So, Rommel came into our lives. It was so painful being without a big dog, a shepherd, that we went to a breeder in Riverside and checked out his litter of 9 puppies. How do you choose one? There was a male who was very alert and independent. We picked him. We named him Rommel.

Anyway, since I don't have any new horse pics, I thought I'd share some Rommel BABY PICS with you! He is now 5 years old, but he was the cutest pup! Sometimes when we take him up to the vet (he's had a case of mange), we take him to see the horses. He's very good around them. He's also very patient with Ripley and he plays with her, then tires, and jumps up into his favorite chair for a nap!

3 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Wow. Something else we have in common. We are on our second German Shepherd. Our first, named Cory, we had to have euthanized at 14 yrs old because she was suffering too much from her hip dysplasia. It took us ten years to get past that, and we finally adopted another GSD last year at Christmas.
Her names is Zuni and she's 10 months old now, and just starting to calm down from all that puppyness. haha!

Rommel is sure a handsome fella. Thanks for sharing pics and a story about him.

~Lisa
Laughing Orca Ranch
New Mexico

Linda said...

I love German Shepherds. I had one we found when we were stationed at March AFB--(my family, that is)--I was young, but he was purchased around there. He was wonderful! When our older dog passes away, I may look into getting another one.

Cheryl Ann said...

Linda, all 3 of our shepherds have come from the Riverside area!!!