Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Beauty before and after pics!
















Well, I STILL haven't made it up to see the horses! I'm hoping that I will be able to drive up tomorrow afternoon. We had "monsoonal moisture" move into the valley this afternoon (I had a chiropractor appointment anyway), and it was horribly windy! From the time I walked into the chiropractor's office and then left, about 35 minutes, the sky changed from clear to cloudy and windy and DUSTY! I mean, it was SO DUSTY that (1) it was hard to see while driving; (2) it was nearly dark at 4:00 p.m.!!! So, I decided to post some "before" and "after" pics of Beauty! The bottom picture is her feedlot one. She was an unbroke 2 year old when I adopted her. She and Gigondas were BOTH on a feedlot! Can you believe it? The next photo is Beauty with my cousin Valerie, last fall. See Beauty nuzzling her? She is very loving! And, then there's Beauty at Val's ranch! LOOK at those ears! Then, there is a picture of Beauty saddled this spring! Isn't she cute? And, finally, that's me and Beauty in the arena this spring. Valerie has had Beauty over at her ranch now for about 5 weeks and has worked on the canter with her until she rides smoothly. I can't WAIT to ride her again! She is very calm and level headed. Valerie has taken her out on the trails now and says she is a very good trail horse now. If she sees something new, she'll stop, look at it, check it out, and go on! I'll be able to ride her again as soon as my leg heals! YEAH! In the meantime, she is getting trained by my WONDERFUL COUSIN! THANK YOU VALERIE! Val says she is so well behaved and calm that if she were to show her, she'd earn some ribbons! I may take her up on her offer!

5 comments:

Linda said...

Great pictures--I bet you can't wait to ride her. Does the weather stay nice year round down there?

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh wow! Beauty is...well a BEAUTY! What a knockout. I love that pic of her nuzzling you, too.

What happened to your leg? Are you ok?

Take Care. Loved the photos :)


~Lisa
Laughing Orca Ranch
New Mexico

Cheryl Ann said...

Pretty much, but they DO get snow in winter. Also, where they are, they get an afternoon breeze nearly every day! HA! They will all be shaggy this winter!

Cheryl Ann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheryl Ann said...

No, that's Valerie with Beauty nuzzling her! I'm on the top photo, with Beauty out in the arena. Valerie and I are the same age. In fact, we're 3 weeks apart and we're both "only" children! She and I got together during the summer. We were ALWAYS two horse-crazed girls! She actually got her first horse when she was 13. I got my first horse when I was 52!