Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

manuka honey and Cali




Well, I was home sick Monday and I sat browsing the Internet. I came across manuka honey, from New Zealand. Hmmm.... so I ran out to the health food store, bought a jar of it for $16.99 (YES!), some freshly made lentil soup, and settled in for lunch. One of the Internet articles said to eat a teaspoon of the manuka honey with lemon, so I did. This is after I spent over an hour in a raging coughing fit, to the point that I was physically EXHAUSTED! I heated up the soup, ate it (yummy!) and waited an hour, then took the honey. I haven't coughed SINCE! Man, that stuff WORKS! Apparently manuka honey is anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and is one of the FEW known compounds that resists the bacteria that is spreading around hospitals! Read up on it! It ONLY comes from New Zealand, which is why it is so expensive. It is extremely thick and dark. I'm sold on it! I took some about 1:00 yesterday afternoon, and I've only coughed ONCE SINCE then! Speaking of honey, that's little Cali! She is such a sweetheart! I MISS my horses~I'll try to get up to see them one afternoon this week. I'm already starting to feel better!~I can feel my energy coming back! THANK YOU MANUKA HONEY!

3 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

My husband has had an ulcer on his leg for over a year that won't heal. He tried Manuka Honey, but it was too strong for the open wound and burned like crazy so much that he couldn't bear it. I was so dissapointed because I just know that if it hadn't hurt so much that it probably would have helped to heal his wound faster.

I'm glad that the manuka is working so well for your cough. I love lentil soup, too. Maybe you can share your recipe if you feel like it? (hint, hint)

Cali is such a cutie!


~Lisa
Laughing Orca Ranch
New Mexico

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, gosh! I don't have a recipe. I bought it at my local health food store! I wish I did! I remember it had lentils, carrots, onions...very yummy! That's too bad the honey didn't work for your hubby. While I was reading up on it, it said that doctors now do use it for tumors! It sounds like interesting stuff!

restoration42 said...

Thanks for reminding me I can use this on myself. I have a jar in my tack room - it makes a wonderful wound dressing.