Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ripley!











Not Scout. This is Ripley. Ripley is the little black lab puppy that we brought home from the mountain swap meet last fall. She and her 3 brothers and sisters were in a box and I looked into it! OOPS! BIG MISTAKE! We picked her up and she was ours! FREE! She and her sister were both black, but her two brothers looked like little German Shepherds. Isn't it interesting how puppies can be so different? Anyway, we brought her home to her two BIG "uncles", my German Sheperd, Rommel, and our son's Weimeraner, "Atticus". I worried about a small puppy among the two big dogs....NOT! She held her own from the first day! She is absolutely fearless! We named her "Ripley"...yes...from the Aliens movies! She takes life by the horns. She is a joy to have in our household! She's curious, friendly, loving (she puts her head in my lap when I type), BUT...she also eats shoes, socks, paper towels, toilet paper rolls, and goes through the trash EVERY NIGHT! I bought this rawhide bone for her recently. She didn't know what to do with it and she carried it around for two days before she finally figured out she was supposed to chew on it! And, NO...she did NOT let her uncles have it! She guarded it. She slept on top of it! She's so shiny because I give her a fish oil capsule every morning! She's just the happiest little thing!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ripley has a lot of personality in that gorgeous face. That look will steal your heart!

M. C. Valada said...

Cheryl:

There's a map in the way of the beginning of the story about Ripley. Pretty dog. I had a black lab-Alsatian cross when I was a kid who looked a lot like her. My mother gave my father an ultimatum of her or the dog and she swears he hesitated.