Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Ponds in the desert



I've discovered a new dirt road to use for my weekend morning walks.  This walk usually takes an hour.  There is a huge pond at the end of it (at the city-owned golf course and resort).  The golfers usually aren't out early in the morning, which is good, because I have to walk on their cement roadway for a short while.  Hikers and walkers are NOT allowed on the greens at all, although I did notice a couple walking their dogs and they walked on one of them in front of a groundskeeper and they weren't chased off!  But, just LOOK at this pond!  It's HUGE!  It has reeds and plenty of hiding places for the ducks.  I even spotted a heron up on a tree, but I was on the opposite side of the pond, and I figured I would jiggle the camera trying to get its photo.  It was nice and warm and I didn't even need a sweater yesterday morning, but a rain storm is heading our way Thursday into Friday.  After I go visit the horses this morning, I'm going to plant my sunflower seeds and black eyed-Susans, and zinna seeds that I ordered in bulk.

No comments: