Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Monday, March 18, 2013

Hot walker is finished!

The hot walker is finished and is up and running (so to speak).  Cathy said they have 1 horse who is trained on it and he will lead or show the other horses how to use it.  This was the mustangs' old corral.  Scout is now down across from Quad, so it was just sitting there empty...sigh... I'm glad they put this there and it will be used.  I went up yesterday to check on the herd, but the wind was blowing and the ranch owners had gone for a ride, so I didn't take any of the horses out.  Too risky, especially when I'm there alone.  So I fed them an extra meal and cleaned out water troughs!  It was the hottest day I've been up there and it makes me wonder about this coming summer.  I'm off on spring break starting Saturday, so I'll have 10 days to myself!  Yippie!  No school!  (See, teachers are as excited as the kids about spring break!)

1 comment:

Sage said...

There was a hot walker at the stable where I used to board my Star, and Jack. I didn't have any trouble teaching them to use it and most of the people there did the same. Was great for days when you didn't feel like riding or chasing through around the round pen. I remember a week of mud (must have been the last time it really rained) and it was great then. Put some old hay and bedding down to walk on and they could get some excerse without being in mud and us trying to work them in mud. Wish I had one here. But I have seen people put horses on them and make them run and that is not good for the horses or the hotwalker. Very dangerous