Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Jay in joshua tree~ABC Wednesday and Wild Bird Wednesday~032013


I've told you the story about our neighborhood scrub jay, right?  He lived in our neighborhood for nearly 4 years, until he mysteriously disappeared about the time a Cooper's hawk moved in...sigh...I used to delight in his screeches and calls.  He would sit on the side fence between our yard and our neighbor's to the west and turn his head and eyeball me when I drove in the driveway every afternoon.  And, of course, I fed him.  I not only fed him, I stopped and gathered acorns for the little bugger!  He would chase off the doves and sparrows, preferring that they not intrude in his yard at all, but he was no match for the bigger hawk.  I never found his feathers or body, but I'm sure he was killed by the hawk, as were several doves.  His obvious presence was enough to alert the hawk to another meal.  So, it was with great delight that I found this scrub jay in Joshua Tree national park a few weeks ago.  He landed in the joshua tree and sang a joyous, warbling song much to my delight!  He appeared to be quite tame.  I hope to see him again sometime, but who knows?  ABC Wednesday and Wild Bird Wednesday for March 20, 2013.  To visit ABC Wednesday, please go to:  http://abcwednesday-mrsnesbitt.blogspot.com/  And, to visit Wild Bird Wednesday, please go to:   http://paying-ready-attention-gallery.blogspot.com/

12 comments:

mick said...

Great photo of the Jay on top of the tree.

Roger Owen Green said...

Joshua tree is a particular popular theme this time through, yet all different!
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Leslie: said...

Oh gosh, I hope you get to see him again, too!

Leslie
abcw team

eileeninmd said...

Love the top shot, the Jays are fun birds!

Indrani said...

Wow! A top of the world feeling.

Stewart M said...

I sure he's out there somewhere! Nice picture.

Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW.

Stewart M - Melbourne

Anonymous said...

Ouch I hope he wasn't killed but just left the scene

PhenoMenon, ABCW Team
http://capturedalive.wordpress.com/2013/03/20/jet-designs/

Unknown said...

Nice shots!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Neil said...

Great photo.

Chubskulit Rose said...

Beautiful shots.

January

Catching up (again) with this week's entries.
Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

Esther Joy said...

I've had a hawk of some kind zooming quite high overhead, and my husband thinks he is after the birds at my feeder. :( I hope not!

Esther Joy said...

Great photos! My daughter has a painted bunting comes to her feeder, but I haven't been lucky enough to get one. I do have an occasional indigo bunting, tho, in the summer.