Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Finally~horse lessons

Since I'm off school this week for spring break, I FINALLY got to spend a morning with my trainer up at the horse ranch.  She's been working the horses each week (weather permitting) and I must say, Gigondas has made the most progress!  She now allows us to touch and brush her face and head.  In fact, she really enjoys it!  ALL of the horses were very hairy.  I noticed that when I put my hand on Quad, I was covered with hair!  So, we brushed each one of them (except Sunni...we both forgot!).  She now takes each one down to the arena first to let them roll, run, and get their energy out BEFORE she ties them at the tie rack.  Apparently Quad busted loose again (...sigh...) a couple of weeks ago when tied at the tie rack.  Scout still has her attitude and one reason why Maia takes the horses down to the arena first is Scout.  She's much easier to work with after she's run and released her pent-up energy!  It was a beautiful day up at the ranch yesterday, with a slight breeze.  I'm not returning today because I'm going to the Palm Desert organic farmer's market this morning, but (if my daughter doesn't give birth), I'll return on Thursday or Friday.  ALL the horses got a turnout either in the round pen or arena, so a good day was had by all!
 Look how much extra hair Gigondas had!  No more!  It's GONE!
 Scout's appy spots are now seen.  They are hidding during her winter coat!
 Scout saddled and worked with the saddle.
 Quad can finally WALK!
 Sunni kicking up his heels.  He was a BRAT and didn't want to be caught when down in the arena...

Even Lucille got some "free time" up in the round pen.

No comments: