Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Barn story~Friday Fences~030813

Thirty-six years ago, before I was pregnant with our daughter, and even when I was pregnant with her, we owned this 5 acre parcel of wooded land up in Garner Valley, CA.  I was working full time as a legal secretary, but after the birth of our daughter, I stopped working.  And, 17 months later, I had our son.  Once we had the two children, we couldn't afford to keep the lot any longer.  We never built on it ( we couldn't afford to...) and we sold it, but kept the second on it for many years. We used to take our 1977 VW van camper model up there for the weekend and camp out in exactly this spot.  Then we hiked all over this area.  I saw my first owl here and I remember the little twitter of woodpeckers.  I miss that sound and sometimes I even park at the end of the street, roll down the windows, and just SIT and LISTEN!  Isn't that funny? Finally, the second was paid off and the lot sold a couple of times. It also stood empty for many, many years. The current owners built a house hill up on the hilltop and just recently added this barn.  I often drive by it to see what's going on.  It is a beautiful area, but I would prefer something that wasn't so rocky!  Old Mr. Garner one time said "Oh, yes...the SNAKE PIT" when my husband told him about our lot! HA!~  And, that IS where hubby ran into a rattlesnake one time.  I'm glad that the current owners are enjoying it and that I still get to drive by!  They painted the fence and added dog-proof wire to it, as you can see.  I'm hoping they will give me many more years of viewing pleasure!  Friday's Fences for March 8, 2013.  This isn't far from where I board my horses, so I'm up that way every weekend.  To visit Friday Fences, please go to:  http://lifeaccordingtojanandjer.blogspot.com/

8 comments:

Denim Journal, Scarlet Lens said...

Beautiful pic and beautiful story.

A Colorful World said...

I'm glad the owners love their place, and that you can still go by and see it. Love the barn and fence. There are always regrets, though when you have to part with something like that, but I'm sure it was for the best.

Leave It To Davis said...

Well, being that it is a snake pit,it's probably a good thing your kids came along and took all your money! I know how you feel though. We owned a home in a smaller town close to here and we go by once in a blue moon to see how the old girl is doing these days. She's still standing. And that's good to know. A little part of you remains with something that was once yours.

Liz Needle said...

What an interesting story. I wonder what it would have looked like had you kept it.

Jan n Jer said...

Its funny how we revisit places of our past. At least you can still see what the owners have done.

4RRanch said...

That fence looks like it could even hold a goat. Interesting how you miss the sound of the area and nice you can still drive by to enjoy it.

Latane Barton said...

We all have memories of places we loved and then let go... sad to think of the what ifs.

Anonymous said...

Nice barn and fence!