Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Gigo grooming





Despite being a thoroughbred, Gigondas is a very easy keeper. She's never colicked (...knock on wood...), she's easy for the vet and ferrier, and she's easy to groom. She has very tight hair and I've never trimmed her mane (can't you tell?). Also, I've never trimmed her tail. It just seems to remain the same length, year after year! She never gets tangles in her mane and it always lays straight and flat. No frizzles there! I'm thinking about having my trainer start on her this summer. Gigo has been saddled, but we've never ridden her. She reared when my previous trainer tried to ride her and we haven't tried to ride her since then. Instead, we've been working on desensitizing her and working on her manners. Her problem is that she can be explosive and I'm just not equipped to deal with that, especially after my fall. She also bolts when I take her down to the arena, so I'm working on leading her around to other places, talking calmly to her, and walking, walking, walking. She wants to run everywhere, whenever she can and when I lunge her, she gallops. Hmmmm....she needs a LOT of work! But, summer is coming and then I'll have time to work with her myself and work her with my trainer, too. Looks like I have my work cut out for me this summer! When I got her from the horse rescue, she was VERY mistrustful of humans and wouldn't let anybody touch her face, ears, or mouth. Now, she will allow me to do so and when I groom her, she lets out huge sighs.

2 comments:

Cactus Jack Splash said...

She is looking good. Hope her restart this year goes well

Sage said...

this one sounds like my mare Nita except for the mane which is like my gelding Sunny. Sunny couldn't grow a forelock to save him and his mane never grows much, never tangles. Wish my others had mane like that. I spend way to much time combing, brushing, and trimming on them.