Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

"STAY"!!!











I drove up to work with the horses this morning. It was HOT here in the desert today. I honestly don't even WANT to know how hot it was! I got up to the mountains early enough to work with the two mustangs Scout and Cali. I haltered Scout and we worked on "STAY"! and leading WITHOUT trampling over Mom! I tell you...Scout is the smartest horse that we have! She learns so quickly! She is getting better with "stay", as you can see from the pics. I decided to sling my camera over my neck (keeping my fingers crossed that she wouldn't take off!) and try to get some pics today. Here she is doing "stay". That's a hard command for her, as an alpha mare, because she constantly has to chase off Cali and then go chase off the two horses in the corral next to her, so I sent her around the corral until she did join up with me. From that point on, she did very well! I was even able to pick up her front two feet .... yeah!!! I went all over her body with the lead rope and she didn't even flinch. What a great little filly she is!

1 comment:

Gail said...

That is great progress. It has been so hot, I have forgotten the color of my horses.