Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Friday, July 23, 2010

Narrow miss on the road and apple pie







Hubby and I decided to drive to the mountains today. He wanted to drive to Julian and buy an apple pie. So, off we went. Now, I've written before about the highway that we take up to the horse ranch. I drive this road all the time, by myself, so I'm very familiar with its twists and curves. And, I'm also very aware of the danger of driving too fast on it, so I always drive carefully and use the turnouts. Other drivers, however, are not so careful and one of them came right at us as he came speeding around a corner this morning. I screamed and threw my arm out in front of my husband and slammed on the brakes. Hubby, in the passenger seat, looked down at the 100 foot drop to his side of the car. The IDIOT other driver, who apparently wasn't paying attention, as the mass and weight of his car got ahead of him (he was actually BEHIND another car!) merrily went on his way as he crossed the double line and headed straight for us. I was shaking so badly (fortunately, there wasn't a car behind us!) that I had to pull over and sit for a while. Once I recovered, however, we continued on our journey to buy a fresh apple pie in the little community of Julian, CA. Julian is at about 4,000 feet and is known for its apples. It is somewhat near the Palomar Mountain Observatory in San Diego County. It's a small, tourist town. There are many places there where you can stop and buy apples, apple pies, and cider. So, we pulled in, ate lunch at the Julian Cafe, and stopped to buy feed in nearby Temecula. We stopped at the ranch to drop off the feed. It was a long day!

No comments: