Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Monday, February 18, 2013

Finally~some horse time today!~



Yes, I made it up to the horse ranch this morning~~FINALLY!  And, of course, an Alaskan storm is aiming for our local mountains, with snow forecast down to 1,500 feet and a winter storm warning is in effect.  They are forecasting anywhere from 12" to 18" of snow!  Oh, boy!  No wonder February is our coldest month!  Anyway, I bought 4 bags of pellets for the herd, unloaded all of them, gave them psyllium and pellets, and brushed them all!  Phew!  Busy day!  The ranch owners bought a used hot walker and were busy pouring the cement for it.  They are putting it in the mustangs' old corral.  Good.  I have to admit it...I was pretty down after losing Cali.  I mean, I went into a depression~a real funk.  Of all my horses...Cali?  She was the sweetest one.  But, it looks like I'm inheriting Lucille, who is 1/2 draft and 1/2 Tennessee Walker and who is gaited!  Her owner is so far behind in her board that the owner notified her and advised her to pay up or else and she admitted she couldn't pay her back board.  So, Lucille will become a member of the herd!  :-)  While she cannot replace my "pocket pony", Cali, she is a great mare.  She's very calm, she ties, she cross-ties, and, like I mentioned, she's gaited.  She's also HUGE!  She's actually taller than Quad!  But, she'll be a great horse for the grandkids (YES! our daughter is pregnant and due April 1st...she's having a little girl!).  I went up and groomed Lucille today.  I've always fed her whenever I gave pellets to my horses because she never got much attention.  She always nickers when she sees me now and we have bonded.  I'm really excited because now I actually have a RIDEABLE horse!   :-)  I just couldn't let her go to auction or to an unknown person who might send her to auction.  She's a real sweetheart!  I'll be posting more about her in the weeks to come.  So, here are some pics from today.  Here's NOSY Quad and Lucille...That's her "before" photo.  Can't wait to get some Integrity Senior in her!   :-)

5 comments:

Cactus Jack Splash said...

So nice you opened your heart and herd up to this mare.

Judi said...

Can't wait to see pictures of Lucille. I'm so glad you stepped in to save her from a possibly bad fate.

Once Upon an Equine said...

I bet the horses enjoyed their people time too. So glad Lucille is joining your herd. I love the name Lucille.

I don't get online as much as I used to, so I missed your post in December about Cali. I'm so sorry. December was a tough month; I lost a beloved dog on Christmas Eve. That put me in a funk for awhile too.

Glad you enjoyed some horse time. A storm is coming our way too. February is a very cold month here too, but with an occasional tease and hint of Spring.

AmberRose- Girl With a Dream said...

YAY FOR HORSE TIME! love the pictures and I can't wait to hear more about Lucille

DesertHen said...

Congrats on the new addition to the herd!