Desert Horses

Welcome to my horse blog, Desert Horses. We live in the desert southwest, near Palm Springs, CA, but board our horses up in our local mountains where it is cooler in the summer. I have 4 horses, all rescues. Here is the ranch up the mountains where the horses stay.

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Fog and RAIN!!!



We had over 24 hours of steady, tropical (warm) rain here the last few days.  It soaked everything in our yard, including the bird seed feeders.  The poor birds were quite confused!  I also had left a bag of books which I was going to donate to Goodwill out on the front porch...yup...pretty much all were ruined.  :-(  I hate to waste good books, so I read them, and donate them.  I didn't even drive up to the horses yesterday and they have MORE rain forecast for today, so I may not get up there all weekend...sigh... I did, however, go to our local library here in my town (I actually have a library card for Rancho Mirage, but not Palm Desert) yesterday.  The city and county have been renovating the Palm Desert library for several months and it just reopened this week. I hadn't been there for several years and I'd lost my card, so I got a new one. They added a whole bank of computers and they have expanded the children's room.  Unfortunately, they suffered a theft of their copper wiring, and that set them back for a few weeks.  But, now the library looks BEAUTIFUL!  And, it is open 7 days a week!  Isn't that wonderful?  Is your local library open 7 days a week?  Oh, and it is next to the College of the Desert library, which means that I can also check books out from that library as long as they aren't textbooks on hold!   :-)  YEAH~MORE BOOKS!  I'm eagerly waiting to check out a book on the history of the Plantagenets, since I have several family lines which go back to them and the book I want is at the college library.  I'll stop by there during the week and get it.  So, yesterday was still WET and SOGGY here in the desert.  There were clouds hanging on our mountains, so up the mountain I went with my camera.  We don't often get the kind of low clouds here in the desert that we had yesterday.  In fact, I believe it has been a couple of years since we've had any like this!  This storm system was a tropical one, so there wasn't any snow in our mountains and the air was too warm.  Our desert and mountains got a good soaking, and they need that.  I can't wait to see our wildflowers this spring, so that is another reason why this storm was a good thing!   :-)   Here are some pics from yesterday.  Aren't the mountains beautiful with the clouds hanging on them?  Enjoy your day.

1 comment:

cheyenne jones said...

Lovely area you live in, shame about the books, but dont worry, the horses will be fine.